So, you are in the market to buy a juicer and looking to compare juicers. How do you differentiate among the hundreds of slow juicer also known as cold press juicer or masticating juicers models and centrifugal juicers to find the one that is best for you.
- What about nutritient quality, noise-levels, ease of operation, cleaning and more?
- It’s not at all surprising that you want to know – How to compare juicers?
- There are dozens of models in the market – So which juicer to pick?
- Are some juicers superior to others?
and so on…the doubts are many and answers difficult to find.
That’s the reason we are here. To help you compare juicers and make an informed choice.
First, congratulations. The fact that you are here to compare juicers so you can buy one is a great positive step in the direction of better health. So let’s get started on finding the best juicer for you.
We agree there just too many models and it is impossible for any individual to compare juicers of every type and model to find the best.
So, we have taken all the hard work out of your hands. Researching dozens of models, poring through hundreds of user manuals and literature about juicers we have whittled down the list to come up with our top 5 so you can simply pick from the best.
All the hard work is done by us. To compare juicers, test them, rate them, put them through the paces. You have the easy job of picking one from our top 5 picks.
We will explain how we compare juicers to arrive at this top 5 so you can be sure that the model you choose is just right one for you.
Whether you want to upgrade to more advanced model or just looking for a basic juicer you are sure to find a model that fits your needs from among our picks that have been arrived at after hours of testing to compare juicers.
Our experts deal with variety of juicers all through the year and have been doing this for over a decade now.
So they not only bring in their expertise to this but also years of experience to compare juicers and find the absolute best models. They provide valuable tips and guidance so you can make the best decision when it’s time to pick a juicer.
Buying the right juicer is probably one of the most important decisions you will make towards adopting a healthy diet this year. The experts on our team are health geeks and juicing enthusiasts who are raring to share their knowledge because they know how this has transformed their lives and wish the same for others.
Before we go forward to compare juicers shouldn’t you know why juice at all? There are plenty of reasons but the three compelling ones according to us are
- It’s the fastest way to include a nutrient-dense fruit and vegetable mix to your diet. In about 10 minutes you can set up your favorite juicer and get glass full of the goodness of nature. Store bought juices lack these nutrients because they are pasteurized and lose all the goodness to the high temperatures.
- You can include a variety of fruits and vegetables to your diet with juicing. As even those vegetables that you don’t like can be blended with other fresh produce and easily consumed. Easy and simple way to reach the recommended daily servings of fruits and veggies target.
- You will immediately notice a difference in energy levels, clear skin, a sense of being healthy and happy, better digestion and more by consuming fresh juices everyday.
So now that you are convinced how good juices are for you it is time to find the perfect juicer for you. Let’s compare juicers to find one that matches your needs.
Compare Juicers – Centrifugal Juicers Vs Masticating Juicers
Juicers are so many that it is difficult to know which is the best unless you test every one of the products and that is nearly impossible. That’s where our experts come in. They compare juicers, test them and find the best ones for you to buy.
For a beginner a good quality but very reasonably priced centrifugal juicer maybe a good choice compared to not juicing at all because of either the complexity of operation or the high price factor. For the more advanced juicer a higher end cold press juicer might just be the right choice as it offers superior quality of juice.
Let’s compare juicers to understand the pros and cons of centrifugal vs masticating juicers.
These are most commonly used due to their widespead availablity, affordability and simplicity of operation. The juicer works by simply crushing the fruits, vegetables and greens by rapidly rotating cutting blade that spins fast against a metal strainer. The spinning force known as centrifugal force separates the juice from the solid mass of the produce. This juice comes out through the strainer and collects in a juice collecting container while the pulp is retained or ejected out through a separate outlet.
Pros of centrifugal juicers
- It juices very fast
- It is affordable compared to masticating juicer
- Very simple to use and operate.
- Prep time is minimal as the feeding chute is usually large and accepts whole fruits and vegetables.
Cons of centrifugal juicers
- This juicer is not great with wheat grass, greens, sprouts and herbs.
- Juice yield is lesser than masticating juicers. The pulp is wet.
- Due to the heat generated and the frothing and foaming due to spinning action heat sensitive vitamins and nutrients are lost during juicing process.
- The tendency of juice to separate is higher.
- The operation is noisy due to the grinding and cutting at high speeds.
Cold Press Or Masticating Juicers
If you watched a cow chew grass you will understand how the masticating juicer works. The machine slowly masticates the fruits or vegetables fed into its feeding chute and slowly extracts the juice through a powerful yet gentle compression process. The speed in a cold press juicer is much slower compared to the high speeds of a centrifugal juicer. Though the slow-press juicers are much more expensive the quality of juice produced is of high quality and also yields are higher.
Pros of Cold Press Juicers:
- All types of grasses like wheat grass, tough leafy greens like chard and kale, sprouts, herbs and more can be juiced in a cold press juicer.
- The yield is much higher from these machines when you compare juicers.
- As the whole process is slow and cold juices retain their freshness for longer time. Juices extracted through cold process stays fresh for upto 72 hours with no deterioration in quality.
- Almost no heat is generated so nutrition is retained.
- There is minimal separation of juice
- No foaming or frothing is seen.
- Multi-functionality of most cold press juicers means you can make nut milks, nut butters, extrude pasta, churn ice-cream and butter and more.
- Almost quiet operation.
Cons of cold press juicers:
- Masticating juicers are more expensive.
- Prep time is higher as the fruits and veggies have to be cut to fit the narrow chutes.
- The pulp content is higher.
So, what should you look for in a juicer?
It would be great if your juicers different components can go into the dishwasher without you having to bother cleaning it all up. The juice carafes, pulp bins, strainers, filters and more can all add up and take several minutes to clean every day. So if they can all go into the dishwasher it is one less thing to worry about.
A compact juicer might retain the pulp in an internal basket but most juicers eject the pulp to an external pulp collecting bin. An external bin allows you to juice for longer without stopping frequently to empty the basket containing the ejected pulp. Stopping to empty the filled bin can be annoying if you are juicing large batches of produce for use later.
A separate juice container that is large enough to collect all the juice you intend to make for a day might be nice feature. Most people hate wasting juice and frequently stopping to empty the juice container does lead to juice dripping and spillage.
As fruits and vegetables have different textures it would be great to have different speed options. Soft stuff like grapes or melons give better results at slow speeds while hard stuff like apples and cucumbers will yield more juice at higher speeds.
Larger feeding tubes accomodate bigger chunks of produce so lesser prep time for you. If it can fit in a whole apple or orange your job becomes that much easier while juicing. Just don’t push the fruits or vegetables too hard. Let the juicer slowly draw in your produce for best results.
Storage of Cord
Juicers with long cord can be difficult to store away. The juicers themselves take lots of space. So having cord storage designed within the juicer allows you freedom to store the juicer on counter without worrying about unsightly cords.
High Juice Yields
That’s right. A juicer that yields higher juicer utilizes lesser amount of fruits, vegetables and greens. You save in the long run.
One Juicer Fits All
Ability to work with a variety of fruits, greens, vegetables, herbs and more. So you can virtually juicer anything and enjoy a healthy lifestyle.
Juicer should produce very little heat to retain juice quality.
Slow-speed juicing prevents oxidation which helps to keep juices fresh for longer.
Ease Of Use
Juicer should be easy to operate and clean.
Noisy machines can be a nuisance especially early mornings, while living in apartments or with young babies in the house.
Compare Juicers To Find The Best Picks In Centrifugal Juicers
Centrifugal juicers offer best value for money. They do great job of producing good quality juice for a variety of fruits, vegetables and more at affordable prices. They typically cost from less than $100 dollars to around $300.
Our 3 top picks in centrifugal juicers include
Breville Juice Fountain Plus
Breville JE98XL Juice Fountain. is probably the best of pick at a really affordable price of less than $150 dollars. It can juice almost any fruit or vegetable with a large basket to collect ejected pulp and juice collector. You can continue juicing for longer time as juice collector can store around 20 ounces of juice. It’s made entirely of plastic. Is easy to operate and clean.
Breville Juice Fountain Elite
At twice the price of the Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite 1000-Watt Juice Extractor this is higher end model with more metal parts. It also juices greens better than the Fountain Plus and is much quieter but at twice price you have to think hard before buying.
Breville Juice Fountain Compact
A lower price model the Breville BJE200XL Compact Juice Fountain is available but it is less powerful and has lower capacity. You need to frequently stop to empty the juice collector and pulp basket which can be tedious if you seriously into juicing.
Masticating Juicers For The Expert Juicers
If you are not just looking for value but quality in juicing then slow juicers are the way to go. Also known as masticating juicers or cold press juicers, they offer unmatched juicing experience. They are priced higher but the quality of juice extracted and juicing effiency (yields upto 20% more juice) will pay in the longer run.
Hurom Hu – 100
The Hurom HU-100 Masticating Slow Juicer is a vertical masticating juicer that combines the advantages of the compactness of centrifugal machine with the juicing efficiency of a masticating slow juicer. The vertical design let’s you relax while juicer works as you don’t have to feed the fruits or vegetables unlike in a horizontal juicer. It’s simple to clean and store away.
Super Angel – Stainless Steel Juicer
Super Angel PREMIUM DELUXE Juice Extractor is one of best masticating juicers out there that comes with a long warranty. It’s probably the only juicer you will ever buy in your life because it is built to last. Made entirely of surgical steel this beautiful appliance will not just add class to your kitchen but be that incentive to lead a healthier lifestyle as you have no excuse not add juice to your diet with a Super Angel on your counter.